THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES �

Monday, January 22, 2007

Nothing in particular, everything in general

Workplace
I get my own office back at work!!!! Yeeeha!!!! I made the mistake last year of taking two full weeks of vacation back to back. The Saturday before I'm supposed to come back, I get this phone call from our IT guy (he doubles as our shipping & receiving supervisor, too... we all wear a lot of hats at this place).

James: Um, I thought I'd better let you know that your stuff isn't where you left it.

Me: Huh?

James: The boss had me move it to the receptionist desk. He wants your office.

Me: The receptionist desk? Why there?
Aside: Granted, we don't have a receptionist, so the desk is wide open and fair game, but since I deal a lot with the financials and some other sensitive information of the company, does the boss really want me out there, where just any schmuck off the streets can listen to me call customers about overdue payments?

James: I dunno, that's just where he told me to move your computer and files.

Me: Don't move another thing. You'll be getting another call in a minute....

So I called the boss and explained my concerns. I can understand him wanting my office. It's a nice office, with a big window that I've contemplated using as an escape hatch many times. His office was above the toolshop, no windows, no ventillation, just this big, smelly space. We come to an agreement. I get to share an office with Mary, who is our customer service rep and lone sales figure. It still isn't private, but it's a lot less public than the receptionist desk.

So James moved everything to the empty desk in Mary's office. Not only did I have the expected mound of stuff waiting on me when I got back, but I also didn't know where anything was at for another 2 weeks. It was an interesting time. Is it any wonder that we just found an order that came in during that time that never got entered? Yikes! Fortunately, the customer was cool about it and we were able to get it into production quickly once I found it last Thursday. The stuff should be getting molded as I type.

That was last July. Fast forward now to January. I've been sharing an office with Mary, who is a lively, witty co-worker. I'm not getting a whole lot of work done, and neither is she, because we tend to talk a lot. Imagine that...

A new employee has just been hired - her name is Gabby and she's a project engineer. She'll be working very closely with Mary and our design engineer. To make a long story short, she starts working at the end of the month, John is vacating my old office for a bigger one, Gabby is moving into the desk that I now use, and I get my old office back, complete with escape hatch. I enjoy company, but I get a lot more work done in solitude. This is important since my time there will be limited more and more by the goings on at the campground.


Campground stuff
I guess I should say something about the campground, since I've mentioned it in a post or two already. My husband and I are opening a campground for motorcyclists to stay at. We've gotten the shower house almost completed and still have the cottages yet to complete. Our opening date is May 4th of this year, which isn't all that far away when you think about it. Kinda' scary, but really, really exciting, too. You can check it out at www.huntslodge.com if you're interested.


Family
I just got done IM'ing with my sister. Weird, how technology makes it so much easier for us to communicate, yet we still don't very often. Anyway, her blues band is in an upheaval. She and the lead guitarist were the founding members, and they've had a splitting of ways recently. He kept the band's name, but the other band members went with her. Since she got all of the band members and has other lead guitarists asking to stand in for her, she also got all of the gigs the band had scheduled. So she's out there in the Dayton, Ohio blues scene with the Band With No Name. (Great, now I've got "Horse With No Name" trotting through my mind....) She's optimistic that this is a good move for her, though. She felt that she and the guitarist were in the band for completely different things. She wants to make a real go of it, he was looking for more of a social outlet. Kinda' sounds like my first marriage.


Curves
I should have known better than to say anything about not missing any workouts. The very next one, on Friday, I missed. We had all kinds of interesting dilemmas pop up at work and I ended up staying until it was time to come home and see my husband off to work his night shift. But I did make it back today, so I'm back on track. I picked up some new sneakers to work out in too. It's amazing what a difference a new pair of shoes can make!


Masks
How is it that somebody can put on an excellent act of everything being just ducky and hiding the fact that everything is going hideously wrong? I just found out that a friend of ours is living a nightmare at home. You'd never know it by looking at the family in public. They all seem so happy and easy-go-lucky. If something happens that the couple decides to split up, it will be a complete surprise to probaby a good 98% of the people who know them.


Thankfulness
I'm thankful for new beginnings and new promises. I've been given a lot of opportunities to start over, chances that I know I didn't deserve. I think I did it right this time. I hope my friends are able to find a new beginning together and put the recent ugliness behind them.

0 comments: