THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES �

Friday, June 20, 2008

Freedom Isn't Free

I know this is a couple weeks early for the 4th of July, and wayyy late for Memorial Day, but it's so true all of the time, we shouldn't wait for a specific date to be reminded of things like this. I received this poem in my email this morning. I don't know who wrote it.


I watched the flag pass by one day,
It fluttered in the breeze.
A young Marine saluted it,
And then he stood at ease.

I looked at Him in uniform
So young, so tall, so proud,
With hair cut square And eyes alert
He'd stand out in any crowd.

I thought how many men like him
Had fallen through the years.
How many died on foreign soil
How many mothers' tears?

How many pilots' planes shot down?
How many died at sea
How many foxholes were soldiers' graves ?
No, freedom isn't free.

I heard the sound of Taps one night,
When everything was still,
I listened to the bugler play
And felt a sudden chill.

I wondered just how many times
That Taps had meant 'Amen,'
When a flag had draped a coffin.
Of a brother or a friend.

I thought of all the children,
Of the mothers and the wives,
Of fathers, sons and husbands
With interrupted lives.

I thought about a graveyard
At the bottom of the sea
Of unmarked graves in Arlington .
No, freedom isn't free .

0 comments: