THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES �

Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Not a whole lot going on lately, but it seems like everything is going on. That doesn't make a bit of sense, I know, but that's the way it is.

My family doctor is on a preventive maintenance kick. Since there is a family history of breast cancer, she decided I needed to have a mammogram to establish a baseline for later. Okay, makes sense to me.

I went to the radiologist to have it done yesterday. The technician must have thought I was a tall contortionist or something, with three hands. Picture this: I'm on tippy toes, one of, um, "the twins" is smashed in this machine. One hand is holding onto a bar for dear life, because the last thing I want to do at this point is lose my balance and *hang* there by the smashed twin. The other hand is holding the other twin back, as requested by the technician. Then, the woman asks me "Uh, can you pull your hair back out of the way?" I would have rofl if I hadn't been trapped by a most tender part of anatomy at that point.

Excuse me... what would you like me to pull it back with? I am not letting go of this bar, and you've already got my other hand tied up, too.... Shooting the other one wasn't so bad - she lowered the machine and I made sure my hair was pulled back before getting stuck in there. Note to self: when getting mammograms, wear pony tails if hair is still long.... Heather, are you paying attention here, ye of the waist length hair?

The entire experience was, um, interesting, to say the least. It wasn't as painful as I had imagined. I can think of better ways to spend an afternoon, but there are a lot of other things that would be worse. I'd been asked not to wear any deoderant or lotion. When I asked the technician, she said that most deoderants will show up on the films as spots and cause a major panic. And lotion, well, apparently some ladies bathe in the stuff and end up sliding out of the smashing plates.

Today, I got to visit with a podiatrist for the first time ever for a diabetic foot check. I'm not having any problems, but she wanted it done anyway, so off I went to the foot doctor. I've never seen anybody thrilled to see hairy toes before. Yes, I have hair that grows on the big toes. I usually shave it off. Nobody but me or Jack ever sees it, but still, it's one of those things... Anyway, the doctor explained that hair is one of the first things to go when diabetic damage starts, so I now consider having to shave my toes as a blessing. Overall good report from him.

I go to feed vampires in the morning to get my A1C checked. Last time was 7.2 (August). My morning sugars have been running better since then, so I'm hoping for a better A1C, too, although I do admit to having been on a complete binge for the last week or so.

The family doctor also asked about my eyes (had an appointment later that day), and some other stuff. After she explained about the mammogram and foot doctor, asked about the eyes and such, I was quite relieved when she said "Oh, and you'll be happy to know that I don't believe in colonoscopies as a screening tool..." Oh, thank you, thank you, thank you... I am so not ready for that... :o)

Jenna goes on Monday to get tubes in her ears. I guess there is a magic number (6?) of ear infections a child has to get before they are recommended, and she hit it recently. She's not quite a year and a half old, either. Really, other than the ear infections, she stays healthy. Hopefully, she'll not get as many after the tubes go in.

I'm getting ready to put up the Christmas tree and decorations in the next few days. Yay! I love Christmas decorations, and music. I had the flute out tonight, practicing Silent Night. I have no idea why, I'm not going to play it for anybody else, but I enjoy it. Most of the Christmas shopping is done, I still have quite a few projects to finish, but this year seems to be shaping up to be a fairly relaxed holiday season.

Jack & I will go this week to shop for Jenna. There is a computer keyboard from Fisher-Price with software that is designed for use by babies that I want to get her, and they also have a Little-People Nativity scene that is just adorable.

And did anybody else ever have an Inchworm riding toy when they were a kid? I had one, loved it. So did my sister. Radio Flyer is making them again. I want to look at one and see how heavy a kid has to be to make it bounce right. That may need to wait until next year, but I will get one for her.

That's pretty much it for now. Have a wonderful day!

1 comments:

Crunchy said...

OMS(oh my stars)!! I can just see this happening. And I AM paying attention TYVM. :D Mine is scheduled for as soon as they can nail me down long enough that I am not breastfeeding or pregnant-which may well be shortly after mental-pause. Wry grin.
As for toes...well, let's just say my big toe has been well acquainted with the razor for some time, especially in the summer time. Are we getting old that we have to consider this stuff?

Has Jenna ever been checked for allergies? It's very common for hidden allergies to cause ear infections.

Still chuckling. Had to read this to my darling and he's chuckling as he considers the impending squash monster for his wife. Thanks for the heads up!