We went up to visit with Mom & Dad and have our Christmas with them this week. It was a very quick trip - up on Tuesday, enjoy Wednesday, then back on Thursday. Dad is doing great! He's getting around fairly well on his leg, the therapist has cleared him to use just a cane with the leg if he wants to, and he's learned how to navigate quite well without it. I was helping him to load some stuff into the back of his truck and he made the comment that in some settings, the leg just got in the way. Go Dad!

Dad decorated the tree this year while everyone else was at work. He put the lights and tinsel on, and yes, he put the paper chain on, too. The chain is close to 30 years old now. It used to be a bright Christmas green, but construction paper fades over time. My sister and I made it when we were little kids, and Mom has put it on her tree every year since. She says it isn't Christmas until the chain is on the tree.
It used to be incredibly long, but it's broken in half now, which will make it easier for my sister and I to take part of it home one of these days. I honestly don't know if the chain will make it another 20 years until it passes on to us, but if it does, we'll take it and be happy for it. We used to fuss with Mom about it, starting 20 years ago, but have long since given up. I suspect if the news ever comes that the chain is retiring, we'll make a replacement and give it to Mom for Christmas.
This year has been full of ups and downs for our family, but in the end, we are incredibly blessed. Mom & Dad wrote in the Christmas newsletter they send with their cards every year that the trials of this summer have only drawn us closer, and I have to agree. Life is good. :o)
Now, on another subject, have you ever had one of those moments when you're really really thankful for something that didn't happen that you really wanted to at the time? I had one of those epiphanies last night.
While coming home from Mom & Dad's, we stopped at a truck stop north of Knoxville. Inside, a man who looked vaguely familiar said "Hi" to me. I could not place who he was for the life of me, and I said something to him to that effect. The guy got a very pained look on his face and said I should know him - I used to be married to him. *COUGH* Wow. It was my first husband, from way long ago. I felt bad because I hadn't recognized him, but time has not been gentle to him, and he was the last person I'd ever expected to see again, let alone run into him in the middle of nowhere. Turns out he's driving a truck now. He didn't say if he was married or attached, I didn't ask. It was an awkward moment, to be sure. I introduced him to Jack, exchanged a few pleasantries, then left as quickly as I could.
It was just plain weird. Still, it made me soooo thankful for the life I have now, and the husband I have now. Had God answered my prayers so long ago to save that first marriage, I'd probably be just as time-scarred as he is, traveling across the country in a truck with nowhere to call home, and probably miserable to boot. Instead, God chose to ignore that particular plea and sent me down the road to where I'm at today - I'm in a wonderful marriage to my best friend, and a life that gives me much joy and happiness. God is sooooo good!

1 comments:
Oh Lori darling... the first part of the post brought tears to my eyes. I'm so glad to read that your dad (and mom) is doing wonderfully, and aren't long-standing Christmas traditions what remind you of the true meaning of the holidays.
Then I read that next-to-last paragraph and almost fell out of my chair!!! I can't help but chuckle at the... irony (?) of that. I just don't know what to say... hurray for you that you've moved on so completely. God IS truly wonderful!
Post a Comment