I had the flu the first part of last week. It passed and a sinus infection took its place. Yum. I'd be OK if I'd learn to sit still the first day that I felt better, but we all know that I can't seem to do that. Nope, gotta' get up and do something, usually something big. Then I end up right back on my butt for another couple of days. *sigh* Today is one of those days on the butt...
I felt great yesterday. Wonderful, amazing, couldn't tell I was sick, other than the cough now and then. Went to the grocery, cleaned up an eyesore stack of boxes in the dining room, cleaned off the table. Isn't it amazing how, when you clean something, you find projects that have been simmering for who knows how long? I came across the stuff to make the window toppers for the campground cabins in the pile of things yesterday.
Decided "Well, this would be a good day to finish them - I've got the workspace cleared off, here's the fabric already cut, just needs hemmed." OK, pull out the sewing machine - it's threaded up with bright orange thread. Orange thread???
Oh yeah! Those UT orange curtains I was going to make for Danny 2 years ago... got that fabric cut, too. It just need hemmed... so off to get the orange fabric that has been pinned over his bedroom window for a year and a half now. It would be a good idea to get them finished before he comes back at the end of January, wouldn't it? Finish those, toss them in the washer. Finish the window toppers, toss them in the washer too. Check two projects off the "Started and never finished" list. Yay!
I'm quite tickled with the way the window toppers came out. They're just simple, denim blue panels hemmed on three sides that will get hung from the rods with clip rings. The bottom edge was the selvage edge that won't fray any further than it already has. It has about a quarter inch of fringe on it that looks sort of rustic and quaint. Considering the window treatments that are currently on the windows (naked mini blinds), anything will be an improvement.
Our youth pastor preached one of those messages today that makes you look at the person sitting next to you with a raised eyebrow, as if to ask "Where one earth is this *kid* coming up with this deep, deep stuff?". His message was two-fold - the first one that God loves us, even if we aren't faithful to Him (from the book of Hosea, the prophet with the harlot wife), and then he moved on to tools.
He said "You wouldn't use a hammer that the head came off of, would you? You probably wouldn't use a saw that wasn't sharp, or a pair of pliers that fell apart. Ladies, would you serve food on a dirty plate? Would you give your kid a glass of water if there as something gross on the glass?"
"Well, folks, we're all God's tools. We're His hammers, His saws, His pliers, His dishes, His glasses, and if we're not in good shape, clean, and ready when He needs us, we're no good to Him. When He goes to his toolbox, or His dish cupboard, are you ready for Him?" Paraphrased, of course, but wow! This guy is only 24 years old at the most, and when you talk to him, most of the time he's a true blonde, but he can pull some sermons out of the word of God that have you scratching your head and saying to yourself "I never thought of that before..."
Just something to think about...
Sunday, December 30, 2007
Posted by Lori at 10:07 PM
Labels: Life, Spirtuality
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Ah - you must post pictures of the window topper, when you have a chance!
That's gorgeous!!! Too bad we aren't closer, we could quilt together. I hope to start on my first one next month. My cousin got me a set of fat quarters that are in great colors and prints, and I have a couple of patterns for simple, beginner quilts. Can't wait!
Post a Comment