I've been working on a quilt. It's the first one that I've ever done that wasn't a kit. I put together a small one that hangs on the wall for my mom once, but it's really small and probably shouldn't count as anything more than practice.
This one is sized to fit the single beds in the cabins at the campground. All I have left to finish it is the binding around the edge, but here's what I have so far. It's based on a pattern at http://www.claudiasquiltshoppe.com/Absolute3BigBlock.htm, which is slated for "Absolute Beginner". Yup, that's me...
The Fabric

I found the paisley first, (It's called Kensington Paisley and came from WalMart) and picked the rest of the colors to match. There is a red solid, a sage green solid, a darker green print, and a gold/tan print. The gold/tan is also the backer material.
I purposely went to WalMart for the fabric, and I'm glad I did. It was hard enough to pick out the fabrics with a limited selection. I'd hate to think how long it would have taken if I'd gone somewhere with a huge selection, like Hobby Lobby.
Tying off and assistance:
I had some help in the form of furry critters hiding under the quilt as I worked on it.

The (Almost) Finished Quilt
And here is where we're at this evening:
The material I have to make the binding with is the same tan/gold fabric as the back and edges, but I'm thinking I might go back and get some more of the paisley and use it instead. I think the dark edge would look really good. I'll mock up the tan/gold and see how it looks, then do the same with a scrap of paisley. More on that later...
Thursday, January 03, 2008
Quilting
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

3 comments:
Oh wow - that's wonderful! Are you doing the actual quilting by hand, or on a sewing machine?
The pieces are put together with a sewing machine.
I decided to tie the front and back together with crocheting thread instead of sewing them.
A) I don't have a frame to stretch the quilt on yet, and
B) it went much faster.
I draped and smoothed out the layers over our glass topped coffee table and worked completely from the front. The table was the exact width of the quilt. I started in the middle and worked my way out.
A curved needle will hook through all of the layers and back out. It took some practice, but once I got it a few times, it was easy and went pretty fast. The first half took a lot longer than the second half did!
I'm down to binding the edges off and I'll be done. I decided to go with a ready made binding in burgundy. There's a lot of green, gold, and black, but not much red. I'll just have to figure out how to put it on. Heather's been a lot of help through this, so I may pick her brains some more on it.
Gorgeous gorgeous! How goes the binding?
Post a Comment