THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES �

Monday, September 29, 2008

Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure, Oct 11

I signed up to participate in a 5K walk on October 11 for the Susan G. Komen foundation's Race for the Cure. Some folks will be timed. Some folks will run. I'm not one of either. I'm going to be there to walk and show my support, but this chick ain't runnin'.

This is the first time I've ever done anything like this. My t-shirt came in the mail today, along with my little number bib, complete with safety pins. I don't know what possessed me to sign up for this, but it seemed like the thing to do when I found out about it.

The registration confirmation and the fundraising email that I was sent to send out to others had some interesting facts in it. 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed with breast cancer in her lifetime. There are 9 regulart readers of my blog - 8 of them are women. 1 of us will be diagnosed at some point. A new diagnoses is made every 3 minutes, and every 13 minutes, somebody dies from breast cancer. Scary stuff.

When I first got these statistics, they were only numbers. This weekend, it hit home pretty hard - one of the ladies at my church has recently been diagnosed and now has to decide what she is going to do.

If you would like to make a contribution to the foundation, you can go to http://my.e2rm.com/personalPage.aspx?SID=1979440 to donate securely online with your debit or credit card. It's a tax deductible contribution, and you'll get a receipt right away.

1 comments:

1dreamr said...

You are going to be completely overwhelmed. This is a truly amazing event. I've done it every year since 2000.

My friend Libby was diagnosed late in 1999 at just shy of 34 years old. She lost her battle in 2005, months before her 40th birthday - she left behind two little girls.

This year was probably my last BIG fund raising year for the Komen Foundation (over $5,000!). I've decided to shift $$-raising efforts toward Alzheimers research (Memory Walk), for obvious reasons, but I'll still walk in the Komen Race every year in Libby's memory. I wouldn't miss it!

In any case, good luck and enjoy being a special part of that beautiful sea of pink... xo