THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES �

Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving Y'all!

Popping out of the woodwork and wish everybody a very happy Thanksgiving tomorrow!

Things I'm thankful for:

My salvation
My husband
My family
My husband's family (Really! I like my in-laws!)
My children & grandchildren
My church
My home
My business
My job
My health
My friends
The tallents I've been blessed with


I have been asked to serve on the board of directors for a newly-forming non-profit organization. It is a faith based, non-denominational organization will provide counseling and shelter for abused women, along with life skills, job seeking skills, basic computer skills, and provide assistance to find permanant housing, health care, education, and job skills training, along with anything else that there is assistance for.

I used to work with the woman who is spearheading it. She is an excellent HR Manager, so she can give people good advice on what to do and not do when looking for jobs, and a professional accountant and lawyer have already volunteered their services. She also has a boarding house that she is going to convert for the shelter. There currently isn't one in our county, so there is nowhere local for somebody to go for protection from an abusive home. The building would also house a high-end thrift store that will help support it, and classrooms for training and counseling.

I'm considering the request very hard. I don't want to commit to something that I end up not being able to do. This is something our area needs, and I would hate to let people down in an area where help is badly needed. A friend of mine has scars on her belly where a man she was living with cut her during an arguement. If he'd cut her any deeper, it would have been really bad. If there had been somewhere safe that she could go at the time, she might have left him before it came to that. Domestic violence laws are getting tougher, but laws don't help people who are scared to death in a relationship like that.

It's a big thing. I don't want to screw it up.

1 comments:

Ruth said...

Lori, I think you would be spectacular at something like this, truly I do. You have an honesty and sincerity about you that is rare in people these days, which is something I would think women in this situation would need and appreciate. You should do it. But that's just my opinion! :)