...as I'm on my way to take a nap.
We rode up to Ohio last Monday to visit with my folks for a couple of days. The campground had no reservations & it was supposed to rain, so we didn't expect any business for the first ahalf of the week. I wasn't too sure about riding the bike for any distance - I'm convinced I cracked my tailbone when I fell in the basement a couple of weeks ago, it's quite sore, and I had no clue how it would react to 7 hours in the saddle. It actually was more comfortable than if I had sat in the car for that long, so it was all good, even the rian. I was just happy to be out and about with my sweetie, on the bikes.
Monday was Dad's birthday. He didn't know we were coming, but wasn't all that surprised to see us, either. He said "Not much you do surprises me - you're too much like me". I guess there are worse things in life than to be like my dad. :o)
Got to visit with my friend Ruth on Tuesday, (Ruth, I'll get those pics posted as soon as I can get them downloaded from the camera) and go riding with my sister that evening (no rain). We got a call that Jack's dad was on the way to the ER with a possible bleeding ulser, but we were told we didn't need to rush back right away.
We rode back on Wednesday, also in the rain. Our plan was to head straight for the hospital, where Jack's dad was still having tests done. North of Knoxville, we weree tooling along at the speed limit, +/- 5mph, when we rounded a curve to find traffic in front of us stopped. The tractor trailer came to a sliding halt, sideways, as did the one *behind* us. Must not have been our time to go, is all I can figure, because both truck drivers did wonderful jobs of getting their rigs under control without anything more than the seats of all of our respective vehicles getting hurt. I know mine probably has a permanant crease right up the middle of the leather from the pucker moment I had....
We got to the hospital to find out that GC had had a mild heart attack. The ulcer was being pushed to the back burner while they dealt with that. Thursday, he had a heart catheter which showed 100% blockage of at least 1 major artery, and his heart was only pumping a 40%. He was transfered to the best heart hospital in the area and underwent a triple bypass yesterday morning. The doctor was very pleased with the results, sys the heart muscle itself was weak from lack of blood flow to it, but that no damage had happened yet. Woohoo!
Jack went in to see him this morning before we left the hospital - he was awake, alert, and giving the nurses a hard time, so he's doing *great*! The talk is that if he continues to improve today, he may be moved to a regular hospital bed this evening. The digestive/ulcer thing that brought him into the hospital was a major blessing in disguise!
We stayed the night in the ICU waiting room with Jack's mom last night and have come home to catch a shower, nap, and a load of laundry before going back. The campground has been on autopilot since we've just stopped in long enough to check the bathrooms and say hello a couple of time since this all started. Luckily, everything was clean going in, and a note on the door explaining the situation tends to bring out the best in people. We stopped in this morning before coming to the house to meet this weekend's guests, and we had a houseful this time.
Anyway, that's what *we've* been up to... I'm going to bed for a bit now.
Sunday, August 31, 2008
Just a quickie here...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Holy smokes!
Glad you made it back *safely*, and that the tractor trailers were able to stop in time!
Also glad that Jack's dad is doing well!!
Glad to hear Jack's dad is doing okay -- a blessing in disguise indeed! Hang in there. Sending hugs!!
Post a Comment