The holidays sparked a new recipe in the Hunt/Young/Milam households. It all started with my comment that it just wasn't fair for my mother's family (the Milam clan) to expect the diabetics of the family (the Young family unit) to make the peanut butter bonbons every years for Christmas. Maybe I'm wrong, but there's just something about a recipe that measures its sugar content in pounds... anyway, I decided to try to do something about that, and here's what I came up with:
No Sugar Added Peanut Butter Coconut Bonbons
2 cups creamy peanut butter
2 cups Splenda granulated
1/2 cup butter
1 pound almond flour
1 8-oz. package of unsweetened, finely shredded coconut
4 bags Hershey's Special Dark chocolate chips
1/4 lb. Parafin wax
If you have a stand mixer, it's a great tool to use for this. If not, well, wash your hands and just dig in when things get too stiff for your mixer.
In a large bowl, mix together peanut butter & butter. Add in Splenda slowly, mixing well. Add in almond flour and coconut slowly also, making sure that everything gets mixed in well.
Roll filling into small balls (about 1 teaspoon in size), then chill in refrigerator while preparing chocolate.
Melt chocolate and approximately 1/4 pound parafin wax in a double boiler. Spread out wax paper on the counter where you will be setting the bonbons. Spear a bonbon with a toothpick or skewer and dip into chocolate, rolling slightly to make sure it is all covered. Gently set bonbon on wax paper and twist the toothpick/skewer to remove it. Lay the tip on top of the bonbon and gently roll the chocolate over the hole left by the toothpick. Repeat for the rest of the bonbons. Let sit overnight, then store in sealed containers. They store very well in the fridge.
Makes about 125 bonbons at 1 teaspoon size. I cannot guarantee that all of them will make it to the wax paper, or from there to the tins. There always seem to be a few, um, casualties along the way... At this size, each bon bon has about 80 calories and less than 4 carbs, less than 2 grams of sugar. If I'd used no sugar added peanut butter, that would go down some, too. I would not suggest using light butter - it simply does not work well, and we never let my mother forget it.
Tuesday, December 30, 2008
No Sugar Added Peanut Butter Coconut Bonbons
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Oh my... those just sound too wonderful for words. I'm copying this recipe, and saving it for a rainy day... when things are really blue... and I need a pick me up. Do they freeze well, too?
Casualties are a good thing, right? I wish you had posted this sooner. I may not have time to make them before our gathering tomorrow night.
Yum - love the idea of adding coconut!
they sound lovely! I'll have to try them with our diabetic ridden family... LOL
Post a Comment