I gave up on the original replacement afghan for the one that fell apart in the washer. We have a total of 3 more babies coming in the church, and I'm pretty sure that none of them have somebody in their family that does this kind of stuff. I'm pretty much a softie when it comes to babies having an afhgan or blanket made just for them, too, so if there isn't somebody to make them something, then I do.
Anyway, long story short - there is a baby shower in August, another one in September, and another one in October, all of them on the second Sunday of the month. Add to that the replacement afghan - I'm up to 4 afghans to make in a little bit of time. Soooooo.... the intricate one that I started on has been pushed to the side, and a quickie was put in it's place. And I mean quick - this one took maybe 6 hours to complete.
If anybody is interested, I used two strands of yarn in two colors - sage green and off white - and a size N crochet hook. I worked both strands at the same time with a simple double crochet. The light green stripes were a strand of each color, while the dark green stripes were two strands of green, the white stripe is done with two strands of white. I finished it off with two rounds of white (2 strands) - the first round was a single crochet, the second round was a half-double crochet. The yarn that I used is a worsted weight from Caron called Simply Soft. It's as soft as any baby yarn, but a lot heavier, so it makes a nice, thick blanket that is good for covering a car seat in the winter, or for laying on the floor as a mat.
I've already started on the next one, which is going to be for a little girl. I'm not sure of the colors the mother wants to use, so I'm using the universal girl colors - pink, purple, and white. I'm working a pattern that I found a long time ago called Wee Bonnie Plaid. It's another fast working one, too, and results in another nice, thick, soft blanket. I'll post pictures when I get it done.

0 comments:
Post a Comment