I just got off the phone with my mother. My father went into the surgeon today for a followup visit. He's doing pretty well, with the exception of one of his incisions is badly infected. The doctor has decided that he needs to clean it out and let the wound heal from the inside out. Sounds kinda' gross, to me. Mom says I should see it. Uh, I love my Dad, but no thank you, not unless I have to.
I'm really thankful the doctor caught the problem when they did. Mom said she and Dad had been watching the incision for signs of infection, but didn't see any. The infection was deep, which is why they didn't see it. If the doctor hadn't caught it when he did, it could have become a very major problem, instead of one that that could be taken care of relatively easily.
Mom says I should try explaining to Dad that it's just a minor setback. He's not one to ask others to do anything for him, or ask them to help him do something, so this whole event is a major strain on him, physically and emotionally. Any setback is not minor to him, but this one is still better than say, ohhhh, taking the leg off, right? He's scheduled for the procedure tomorrow afternoon, after the blood thinners have had time to clear out of him. I imagine he'll come home tomorrow evening.
On another topic - how do you know when your crock pot is ready to give up the ghost?
I soaked some beans overnight, put them in the crock pot on high this morning. Tonight, they're warm, but not any closer to being cooked now than they were this morning. I can pick up the crock part without burning my fingers, which I don't think you really should be able to do with a crock pot that's been set on "High" for the last 8 hours. And yes, it is plugged in. Don't ask how I know to check that. It's quite embarassing.
Methinks it's time for a new crock pot. In the meantime, I gotta' go find something else for dinner tonight, and pour the beans into my stock pot to finish cooking for tomorrow night.
Thursday, July 19, 2007
Minor Setback on Dad
Posted by Lori at 4:54 PM
Labels: Dad's Surgery
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Oh dear. Maybe I'll try to give your folks a call this weekend to check on them.
And my guess would be that your crockpot has ALREADY given up the ghost and is in need of replacing... but the only crock pot I've ever replaced is one I set on fire, so maybe I'm not an expert.
Mom & Dad would love that. They're still where they've been for 20 years or so (has it been that long? Wait.... don't answer that...)
How do you set a crock pot on fire? That takes some major destructive tallent! :o)
Ah, sorry to hear about your dad's setback. Thank goodness this was caught, though. It's stuff like this that scares me to death, going into my own surgery...
As far as the crockpot, heh, I'd say it's time for a new one! :-)
Have a great weekend!
Check my place soon for the story of the crockpot... :o)
Post a Comment