THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES �

Thursday, September 13, 2007

Words fail me right now...

...but the pictures Mom took today say it all! I'm still teary-eyed with happiness. :oD



Here's the update Dad sent out today:




Hello everyone,

The past week has been a down and up one, to be certain. There has been a lot of thinking and a lot of emotion in the last few days. Wondering how this condition came about and what it's impact on our lives will be, that sort of stuff. The final outcome is that, based on our current health,we will are going to meet all of our goals of retirement and it's rewards, although we will need to make some adjustments along the way. Just in the manner in which we do some things, not what we actually do.

To say that the week ended on an up note would be an understatement. I was fitted with my new leg today and took some steps with it. Tentative and awkward to be sure, but had to try. I guess I had it on for about an hour and walked quite a bit of that time. The leg supplier's rep that we have been working with was very happy with my ability to take to the leg so quick. That being said, I still have a very long way to go before I can be turned loose on the world, but I start therapy and training next Tuesday.

Slipping the shell up onto the liner for the first time. I was very apprehensive and excited at the same time. Basically you sit down, bend the leg down, slip it on as far as you can and then stand up.


Locking the shell and liner together by shoving straight down with my leg. I was not sure what would happen. Did I have the liner on straight? How much pain will I feel in my stump? What will I have for lunch? Well, the liner was straight, for if it were not, the locking mechanism will not latch. It did. I have a fair amount of phantom pain and was concerned about what affect stepping into that leg would do to it or for it. There was no additional pain, in fact, I think I forgot about the pain I was having. It almost felt like a cocoon or something. We celebrated a bit by going to Appleby's. I had the Bruschetta sandwich with garlic fries. Very good.


The first step. You have to think about every motion you make, or at least for now. It will come more natural as time goes by.


Steppin' oout!


That is about it for tonight. It has been quite a day. I'll be checking in later.


Mark E. Young, Jr.
MSgt, USAF (RET)
Member IPMS/USA
Dayton Area Plastic Modelers Society

KC-135A - built when Man thought He Could Burn Water

3 comments:

1dreamr said...

That is just fantastic. He looks great!!

Crunchy said...

YAY!

Ruth said...

Oh Lori - that's so wonderful!! I have no doubt he'll be running circles around ALL of us before long!